Thursday, February 4, 2016

The BEST Chicken & Dumplin's

Hey guys!

So I've been really bad at this blogging thing. The new year's resolution is not going so well. Maybe I need to set deadlines or something? I don't know, but I'm back! It's been a crazy couple of weeks. We had SnowCation 2016, followed by the start to the new semester, which was way busier and more hectic than I thought!

Anyway, I'm sure most of you are in places that got snow too, so I don't have to tell you about that. But let me just say that being snowed in in such an isolated location was all at once magical and annoying. It was amazing to look out the first morning and see this:





But after 4 days of not even seeing a human, I was about to go insane! Cuddling under a blanket on the couch reading and watching Netflix alternately is wonderful, but there is only so much of that a person can take.

Luckily, I got a wonderful recipe for chicken and dumplings (or dumplin's as they're called in the south) from a friend and stocked up before the snow came. I adapted it slightly and ate on it for days. And now, I'm going to bless you with the new recipe! Please go try this. Now. It's not a drill. Also super easy.



This is what you need:

3 tablespoons of butter
3-4 Chicken Breasts
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 can Cream of Celery soup
1 box of chicken broth
1 1/2 cups of baby carrots
1 small onion, cut into fourths
salt and pepper to taste
1 can of biscuits (the honey butter ones are amazing...you could also do two cans if you like a lot of dumplin's)

Melt the butter in the crockpot. (Or if you're lazy like me, melt it in the microwave and pour it in the crockpot. ha) Add chicken breasts. Mine were frozen, that's completely fine. :) Then add soups, broth, and veggies. I used about half a bag of baby carrots...I'm guessing a cup and a half, but it may have been more or less. The amount is really up to your preference. Also, I cut the onion into fourths. It kind of disintegrates anyway, so it doesn't much matter.

Anyway, turn it up to high for about 3 hours, or until the chicken is done. You could also probably set it on low for 6 hours if you're cooking all day. Then, take the chicken out and shred it. It should fall apart super easily. Return it and season the whole thing with salt and pepper to taste.

To do the dumplings, just take your biscuits, and pinch them into little pieces. Put on top of the crockpot mixture and cook on low for about 30 min to an hour. DO NOT STIR THEM IN UNTIL THIS TIME IS UP. They will fall apart. After the time is up, you can stir it in and let it sit on warm until ready to serve!

*Hint: If it gets too thick, add a cup or two of water!

It's delicious, warm, gooey goodness. You will thank me. :)

What are some of your favorite snow day recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment